Transportation & Distribution
In 2015, Sabel Systems began to support the USMC Logistics Distribution Policy Branch (LPD) and its management of material distribution, passenger transportation programs, associated traffic management systems, Second Destination Transportation (SDT) finance and metrics efforts and initiatives. Team Sabel provided draft policy guidance, studied current programs and made program improvement recommendations, performed database development and analysis, and developed new on-line computer-based training courses, performed information management, and technical services in support of the Marine Corps transportation and distribution policy, and transportation finance efforts.
As part of this effort, Sabel Systems saw the need for a definitive cargo In-Transit Visibility (ITV) Strategy, which was lacking from a Marine Corps enterprise standpoint. Team Sabel then led the way on a project to draft a brand new USMC ITV Strategy. The effort was a success, and well received by the entire Marine Corps supply-chain community. The Marine Corps ITV Strategy will serve as a baseline document from which a Marine Corps Order on ITV is written.
Additionally, Sabel Systems provided Automated Information Services support to LPD in the following areas: strategic planning, functional advocacy support (material distribution, unit move, passenger, and personal property) and requirements development. This support included assistance to the LPD Commercial Transportation Systems Analyst by attending meetings and supporting the analyst as required.
Sabel Systems also identified source systems for supply, transportation, and billing metrics data to facilitate an end-to-end distribution pipeline cost analysis, conducted data mapping, and developed a data collection plan, which optimally centralized all data into a single data mining report. The data report was used to track expenditures and to assist in a bulk obligation process. Sabel identified potential enhancements to metrics gathering and reporting processes. Additionally, Team Sabel made all source billing data available for additional analysis. This data was provided on a weekly basis.
Subsequent to these efforts, Sabel Systems identified an increased need for personal property and passenger travel policy and systems support, which includes:
- Assisting in the coordination, implementation, and proliferation of the Defense Transportation System (DTS) and the Defense Personal Property System to identify, calculate and recover excess costs associated with passenger travel and the shipment and storage of personal property.
- Providing Centrally Billed Account (CBA) management for USMC personnel traveling for training at non-USMC installations.
- Monitoring Distribution Management Office (DMO) CBAs, providing proactive account status notifications to leadership, and ensuring interest penalties are avoided.
- Acting as the LPD-designated central point of contact for USMC DMOs concerning any CBA-related issues including working with the Defense Transportation Management Office or Citibank to put accounts into an exception status when needed.
- Working closely, and serving as liaison with the USMC Transportation Voucher Certification Division to resolve Air Mobility Command Temporary Additional Duty billing issues.
The client validated and codified the requirements in a modification to the original contract, which added a new resource to the baseline contract.